Monday 26 October 2009

Links of interests

Directing

I have a very creative nature and this coupled with my love to directing, has allowed me to fully blossom in the fields of theatre and specifically theatre production. For over nine months, with the aid of an extremely talented and hardworking team of fifteen cast members, I devised and performed in the successful production of ‘Heads or Tales’. Throughout the course of this production my range of tasks varied stretching from organising workshops, rehearsal and structure, up to of course script writing. Although I delegated many tasks and responsibilities to team members I made sure to maintain an active involvement in order to ensure a positive atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire production experience and it helped me to challenge the perceptions we portray through our thoughts, ideas, actions and speech. Deep analysis within these different frameworks allowed me to add great depth to the characters personalities and give true meaning to their roles within each storyline. I always encouraged initiative and tried to involve everyone’s ideas and opinions into the production where possible. This type of direction has allowed me to be very relaxed in my approach, because I prefer to create a scenario and a set of characters and let the production be a story of their interactions. This differs from direction which aims to lock down performers to strict guidelines and doesn’t allow them to have the greater involvement they deserve.

Music

From an infantile age music has been a key element within my family. I grew up listening to my dad’s band, which has influenced me to play the drums and to also learn the piano and guitar. Every morning I was woken up by the sound of my dad’s radio, heart fm mainly, to the majority of people the sound of loud music is not a nice wake up call but for me it started my day of in an up beat, I’m ready to go mood. But then he started listen to classic fm, which did not get me up in the best of moods. But I have learnt to like classical music over the years. I enjoy lots of different genres, but especially rock and roll (Irish style) this is through my cousins band ‘The heart beats’. They take modern day songs and jazz them up into rock and roll songs. I love the way how two completely different styles or genres can be combined; this to me is really clever and exciting. I tend to use this inspiration of blending styles of music, movement or styles of acting when devising theatre. I tend to work with my boyfriend on producing music for small devising pieces or shows using Cubase and Reason Software programmes. Currently we are working on a song from the ‘Oliver’ musical and developing it into a dub-step beat. This is going to be for a five minute abstract piece which is still in the ‘drawing up ideas’ stage. When I listen to live bands it brings back memories from when I was young and I get a feeling which says I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment