Sunday 3 January 2010

Descriptive Piece Draft 3

We were interrupted by the very loud ringing of a school bell, the high pitched sound echoed in my ears, silence rippled amongst us as we all became still. We all set our eyes upon the large black and white plastic clock above the hall entrance, and realised our fate, the first performance of ‘Tales from Geppetto’s workshop’ was about to draw back its curtains to an audience for the first time. Our hard work, which felt like our new born baby, was about to be examined by the most honest audience participant a performer could ever have, children.

I took a long heavy breath to calm my heart which was thumping like a bass drum, as I prepared myself for my starting statue like position. We all waited in suspense as I could hear the cheeky, chirpy children’s voices bouncing around on the other side of the wooden doors.

Suddenly the grand doors which looked liked they had grown taller in seconds swung open with a gust of wind throwing dust in my eyes. Through the doors entered a woman surfing a wave of happy hands pulling and tugging. The innocent children were all walking on their tip toes with excitement, all ready for a new day of fun learning, knowing they had a very special treat in store.

The children were staring with joy at our brightly coloured costumes so much that they were bumping into each other like a small car pileup. A Roar of “ooo’s” & “Ahh’s” filled the hall as the eager audience were marvelled as Mark; a fellow performer, balanced on one hand up side down. This broke the imaginary divider between the performers and the audience, as it seemed each child started to ask a million and one questions all at the same time.

But before I could answer any of them the show had begin, cue music, I could feel my nerves rippling from my toes up to my head, cue actors, I swallowed a deep breath to compose myself and it was me in the beaming limelight. My eyes witnessed nearly two hundred children in a sea of red uniforms fixated on me.

Without racking my nerves I introduced my character with confidence and pride in a low strong voice, “Pinocchi-A”. I am a talented musical wind-up toy who is old and wise and loves to perform. I lapped up the children’s undivided attention as I told my story, “I was first created very slow, created without any flow, quickly made from head to toe, my joints would stop and start to go, but my secret passion and my dream, is to make my sound and to be seen, telling jokes the stage was mine, but my jaw got stuck”… I was then joined by a fluffy yellow and white friend, my conscience in the show Jiminy chick, a magical puppet.

The show went down a treat, leaving our very hungry audience wanting even more!
An overwhelming burst of cheers, claps and beaming smiles left me with a great sense of achievement. I found their amazing reaction and huge amounts of energy gave me lots inspiration and confidence for future performances.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi laura,

    I thought your opening paragraph was very insightful and you set up the scene of where you were well. i especially enjoyed the build up to finding out who your harshest critic would be! was unexpected and will make the reader smile as i did !
    one little grammer mistake, 5th paragrpah down the show had began not begin but you can recitfy that.
    I was a little unclear to why the doors seemed bigger and heavier, is that because you were nervous? maybe just illaberate in a sentence about that.
    i liked reading about your personal character pinocchi-a, it was nice to read as lots of people have focused solely on the peice as a whole. you have found a good balance between the two. From reading the closing paragraph im glad the show went well for you and your audience enjoyed it! (always important) maybe a bit more detail about how you felt after the show, what do you think?

    hope this has helped. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,

    This is a great piece of work. You really give a good insight into your feelings and give a fantasttic descrription of them.
    You really get the reader excited in the paragraph where you say 'cue music' ect it really engaged me.
    I like the way you explain how your body felt at different times and how some elements effected your emotion and perfmormance.

    I also like the way you built up into a positive atmspher. Its really good. I felt like I was therwe, watching you.
    Wicked work!
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,
    I agree with stephanie and Klaras viewpoints.
    I enjoyed reading the introduction being almost slightly confused as to why you heard a school bell, to then having you set the scene and being honest about your nerves that the audience was to be children. the writing style brings the reader along side you in your performance, following your feelings as you wait and then act. I would have like to have read more about how you felt after it was finished, relieved? or hungry for more like the audience?
    Great topic choice as it is an angle of the performance that could only come from you.
    Sounds like good fun!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,
    Your abstract descriptive start to this piece is very clever and well structured. Although slightly confused at first this puzzled me and made me want to read on further as the reader of your piece. I love the creative way in which you have described the objects in the hall " the large black and white plastic clock above the hall entrance" and "grand doors". This imagery reflected the fairytale quality of the performance that was taking place and added that extra magical content to your descriptive piece which only you could have experienced. I agree with the previous comments made and feel it's a shame there was such a big build up to the before and during that the end seemed to almost not be important. Was there a workshop afterwards? Did the children get a chance to meet you or ask questions? These would be fantastic qualities to add aswell eg maybe what else you learnt from this experience or how it could be done differently as it may make your final draft round off nicely at the end. Great piece of writing though a lovely descriptive journey that I look forward to seeing continue with your work. KT

    ReplyDelete