Monday 8 November 2010

Log 2 - Reflections on working collaboratively using Google Docs

Google Docs is another networking tool used on the internet; where you can create or upload existing documents. You can store, edit and share your work if you wish to with Google Docs.

I have found this networking tool a lot more useful than I thought I originally would; I felt that the idea of sharing your work amongst my peers like my project report would not benefit myself and that it may be of more use to others than me. But I as I went on I found that other documents which I could choose to share like workshop plans became more useful.

Google Docs has been a core communication method for Stephanie and I as we can work on and develop documents such as workshop plans and script work using Wiki. As Stephanie and I have other commitments like jobs and other projects within our workplace, time has become very precious and sometimes has been hard to arrange the time for both of us to meet. Using Wiki we can work and edit documents at different times.

Using Wiki in Google Docs has allowed for the smaller targets we have sent within the project to be achieved and also saved us time. Before we used emails to send documents to and from each other which worked but did not allow us to edit the one document instead we ended up with numerous documents which becomes unorganised and confusing. With Google Docs one documents is only needed which makes things a lot simple.

With Google Docs I can store my documents clearly and safely. In the last module my USB caught a virus and I lost all my work, fortunately I had one hard copy which I used to start all over again, but I did not want this to happen again. Google Docs has solved this problem as I can save my work to the site safely and know that it is secure for me to access at anytime. Like Delicious I can access Google Docs from any computer which allows me the freedom again to work from anywhere without lugging all of my things about.

Overall Google Docs has become a necessity for Stephanie and I to make this project move to each step of the process. It has given me piece of mind in knowing my work is secure and accessible when I need.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura

    I am aware that you are working on a project about sexual heath awareness and that you have researched a number of different sites such as Google docs and websites such as Marie Stobes. I have just read your blog about it and found it interesting on how important these sources to your project are. I am still learning about Google docs and other networks.
    I have come across a website that may help you in making your project stronger as you know my project is about marketing and fund raising within the arts. For my project I conduct many different interviews with theaters and arts organizations. I used this site linkedin.com where I found great networking opportunities with marking and project mangers. This may help you get in contact with people that work in sexual heath? thanks klara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having used Google Docs makes me wish I had a partner for this report too Laura! I can see how useful it would be in collaboration and especially for sending potentially more sensitive secured documents which could relate to your subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Klara

    Thanks for the advice, Linkedin.com was a brilliant source!!! It has moved my project into a new stage! It has helped me to find hundreds of details of different organisations and companies throughout the world to do with sexual health. From this I have managed to contact and organise interviews with companies within the sexual health sector.

    I have finished all my interviews now for my project. I have even managed to interview a project officer of Sleepin’ Safe Sexin Safe’ within FPA the leading UK sexual health charity.

    This was a fantastic interview not only with the data that I collected but the charity project was really inspiring and intriguing which I want to get involved in the future if possible. From the interview I have been invited to look at FPA’s sexual health Library which also is invaluable source to my project!

    I’m half way through typing up all my interviews but I’m finding it very long process!

    But thank you for your help, how is your project going?

    Laura

    ReplyDelete