Friday 19 March 2010

Learning Dairy entry 3

Campus session 3 – 16th March

Once again I was unable to attend this campus session at cat hill due to a performance I was in. Feeling quite gutted as I am starting to feel a little behind. I know what my project is going to be – see my blog ‘100 words on my project’ – but I still don’t know my title nor do I have any particular questions or theory I want to research. I know I have to research information that I will be delivering to students about sexual awareness, making sure I meet the council’s standards, polices etc. So I feel this is one thing that I need to do before I can carry on with my research plan of what tools I will be using etc. I have an idea of research tools I would like to use but if they are necessary to use is another matter, this will be known once I have discovered my question, title etc.

To catch up I have read the slideshows on Paula’s blogs and realised how much preparation goes into research, especially with interviews. But this is good for me as I love to organise and I feel I can really get my teeth into that. As I am going to be using Verbatim theatre this will defiantly be a tool I will be using. Verbatim theatre is researching and taking people’s real life experiences, words to create theatre, based on true stories. Because I am going to be discussing an issue/topic; sexual awareness, which can be a sensitive subject to people I think I need to plan my questions and interviews carefully, maybe using more of a informal set up to relax the interviewee.

Another chickenshed learning set meeting was arranged which helped me too with Paula, from this myself and other members of the learning set have meet up to work through the booklet together last Tuesday and will also be today.

Things to do;
- Find title, question etc
- Write letter to chickenshed on project
- Find literature of research


Activity 2

There are many advantages and disadvantages for being a worker researcher. As I will be researching in the environment in which I am researching I feel I need to identify these factors to be fully prepared and also to have a fair research not a bias one.

Becoming emotionally attached or involved could make me bias which potentially shatters any goal for a fair result. So I have to keep a professional relationship with my workplace, research and project to not become emotionally attached or involved. But I do feel this could become very hard as I am already very excited and passionate about my project.

Within my project I will be using Chickenshed’s inclusive method and approach; to outsiders this could be seen as a bias way of working. But as my project is for the development of Chickenshed, I feel this method is the best way to achieve my goal. I am open to opinion if anyone can tell me why this is not the best way to work.

Inclusion – Having no boundaries or limitations to what you can achieve when using people around you who are willing to share theirs and others ideas with you. Creating a positive, comfortable, accessible environment to create theatre will allow individuals to reach their full potential.

1 comment:

  1. Laura - the writing is really beginning to examine beyond the surface - continue to examine these issues using the Chickenshed AND other sources. The project and research for the project, should work together so that the planning is really useful - I am getting a sense of its becoming actualised as a work-based project - and fitting into the theatrical tradition of inclusive theatre. Continue the criticality and showing your in-depth understanding of this art form - really interesting for those who work in different ways in the theatre.

    ReplyDelete