Wednesday 17 March 2010

Leraning Dairy entry 2

March 3rd - 2nd campus session

I was not able to attend this campus session due to my work placement, but from reading other peoples blogs, the handbook and attending chickshed's learning set I have been able to catch up. I have been developing my glossary of research terms, which has allowed me to develop my own understanding of different research methods, techniques and start to consider what tools I will use to conduct my research.

Primary research – This is information found directly from the researcher through their own interviews, questionnaires to shove a problem.
Secondary research –This is information that already exists which was created by other people, which can be found from other sources, internet, leaflets, books etc. With the internet you have to be careful as not everything is 100% true, so analyse and chose wisely.
I feel I will need to use both primary and secondary research to collect information for my project/topic , and personally I think it would be silly not to use both.


Qualitive research – A non- numeric form. To collect and analyse information such as opinions, thoughts and experiences from people about my chosen topic area.
Quantitive research – to collect and analyse information through numeric form from large numbers of people, which allows the researcher to calculate percentages, graphs tables etc.
To research my project I will use both qualitive and quantitive research, using questionnaires that I plan to design using open and closed questions.

Fieldwork – Is the researcher going into the chosen environment of research, or talking/interviewing to members of staff, pupils etc. Another example when constructing fieldwork could be observation, through meetings, workshops and outreach.
Within my project I feel fieldwork will be a key research method I will be using as I can retrieve all the information at first hand being in constant contact with the environment/workplace/ people.

Surveys – A research tool used to collect, show and analyse information from people. Also know as questionnaires. This is a simple, cheap way of conducting research.
I will be using questionnaires/ surveys to collect data and opinions to develop a greater understanding within my chosen topic area. This will also be a simple, fast, cheap way of conducting research.

No comments:

Post a Comment